Bachmann introduces new bill aimed at ACORN

June 4th, 2009 – 5:41 PM by Eric Roper

Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., introduced a bill today which would prevent organizations from receiving funds from the the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) if they have been “indicted for violations of state or federal election laws.”

The announcement follows an attempt by Bachmann several weeks ago to include similar language in the “Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act.” The language was later changed by Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., who said on CNN that he didn’t “read it carefully” before it was included. Frank, who is the chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, altered the bill to only bar funds from organizations that were convicted of illegal activity.

“This is about how Congress spends the people’s money and about setting the bar high,” Bachmann said in a statement. “Accessing federal funding is a privilege, not a right, and it must be earned. Congress should not allow groups, such as ACORN which has been repeatedly investigated and indicted for voter registration fraud, to receive taxpayer dollars. You can’t violate the public trust with one hand and take the taxpayers’ money with the other.”

52 Responses to "Bachmann introduces new bill aimed at ACORN"

DJ says:

June 4th, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Let’s do a caption contest with this picture. She looks like a vampire. So white in the face… Get out in the sun every once in a while Michele… sheesh…

DJ says:

June 4th, 2009 at 5:54 pm

She looks like she’s about to say:

SHlT!! HERE COMES AN A-RAB!!

DJ says:

June 4th, 2009 at 5:56 pm

SHlT! HERE COMES A MEXICAN!

Cash N. Carey says:

June 4th, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Wow – attacking a female conservative for her looks. How liberal of you DJ!

DJ says:

June 4th, 2009 at 6:24 pm

attacking a female conservative for her looks.

Well, only half of my “attack” was based on her looks. The rest was based on her views and history. And I’m really just making fun of the picture, not her looks in general.

dare2sayit.com says:

June 4th, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Michele is right on this issue. Why should taxpayers be forced to fund the democrat vote fraud group ACORN with their corrupt history?

By the way D.J., not only is Michele Bachmann the best Representative Minnesota has in Washington, she’s the most beautiful Congresswoman in Washington.

GO lonoscopy says:

June 4th, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Her looks could be much worse if she was A-Cornholer.

I’m with D2 on this. Shes hot. Shes almost as sexy as Michele Obama.

O.T. says:

June 5th, 2009 at 12:51 am

I tried to say F*ck Obama to see if I could swear on this site too, but apparently it only allows the democraps to do it.

SgtPendleton says:

June 5th, 2009 at 6:51 am

Back to Stalin again – guilt doesn’t matter, only the accusation.

SHlT! A GAY!!!

להקיא says:

June 5th, 2009 at 7:56 am

Golly! this site is not allowing me to post anything today.

dubble_a_ron says:

June 5th, 2009 at 8:42 am

I’ve always despised Bachmann’s politics but I will allow she’s a good-looking lady, especially considering her age.

She does kinda look like a vampire in this picture though.

I’d be afraid to be alone in a room with her. Too intense. I’d be afraid of being garrotted with a string of pearls.

June 5th, 2009 at 8:53 am

Collect false names = Okay

Try to use false names = Bad

And thats only because its your side Ronny. Gezzz lets say its was CHRISTCORN and not ACORN.

Like …I’m not growing the pot I just have the Seeds.

Deacon Blues says:

June 5th, 2009 at 8:53 am

“Any of you ACORN-bashers have a concrete example of someone actually showing up at a polling place and trying to vote with one of the fake names that malfeasant ACORN workers wrote down on their voter registration clipboards? ”

Mr. Sub Way voted 900 times for Obama. Ms. Wall Greens voted 300 times for Tinklenberg.

Dora says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:09 am

“Collect false names = Okay”

No, and ACORN doesn’t think so either. That’s why they fire the workers who do it and even flag the names for state election officials. They are required by law to turn in all names, even the ones they know are fake. This has been repeated to you ACORN bashers ad nauseum and yet you still set up your strawmen.

dubble_a_ron says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:15 am

tiny,
More like,

Dumb worker writes down fake names = stupid, bad, dumb worker should be fired.

Try to use false names to vote = ACORN actually is running a conspiracy to commit voter fraud.

But I doubt the latter is the case. That’s all I’m sayin.’

What makes Bachmann’s proposed law stupid and wrong is that she wants to cut funding for an organization that’s been indicted. Look up the distinction between “indicted” and “convicted.” If she gets her way one could defund any group one didn’t like merely by accusing them of a crime. You wouldn’t have to win the spurious case to put them out of business. That’s some McCarthy-type stuff right there. That’s not how we roll here in the USA. I wouldn’t want to see some Christian faith-based group that gets govt grants defunded prior to a conviction either.

June 5th, 2009 at 9:19 am

Dora so lets have a law? Whats wrong with that? You like laws. I know you do.

Again CHRISTCORN you’d be on here everyday bring it up as your “Strawman”
What a FRAUD you are.

PS What the hell is a Strawman? God almighty grow up a little. MSNBC Strawman this Strawman that.

And you want me to a normal discussion with you? You’re like talking to someone on the 5th floor of HCMC.

Dora says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:25 am

What law? Bachmann’s law? No, for the reasons DAR points out.

Look it up in the dictionary if you don’t know what “strawman” means. It’s not a fake word like you use.

June 5th, 2009 at 9:26 am

Really honesty you don’t see that do you?

Its really honesty remarkable that we would even be having this discussion. Cheating or attempting to cheat is wrong. ACORN has been pushing the envelope the last few elections. Something is not right down the line

And honestly groups NO group should be allowed to register people. It should be their responsible to go to the courthouse or apply some other way.

You want “street corner” democratize? Stupid.

CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:28 am

“indicted” and “convicted.”

I agree DAR, indicted is setting the bar way to low and invites political misconduct. Given our budget situation though I think any group convicted should be ineligible for any federal funding. That will ensure they police themselves.

Deacon Blues says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:34 am

“ACORN has been pushing the envelope the last few elections. Something is not right down the line”

Convict them then.

dubble_a_ron says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:36 am

“Ron I don’t want to have to look for examples where the left has indicted someone before they where convicted.”

Dude, you need help with your vocab.

EVERYBODY gets indicted before they are convicted.

Being indicted means you are accused of a crime, and presumed innocent until proven guilty, but the court is saying yeah we’re going to try you on this charge.

But you only get punished if you’re convicted.

Bachmann wants to punish groups for being indicted.

But to your partisan point, the shoe can be on the other foot. I guarantee that if Bachmann gets her stupid law passed the Pelosis of the world will pull strings to indict say, faith-based charities that get govt funds and put them out of business whether they’re guilty of a crime or not. Is that the kind of law you want on the books?

להקיא says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:40 am

The fact that they keep getting fake names indicates a serious problem with their hiring practices. That raises legitimate questions about their ethical standards. ACORN deserves the bashing they get.

dubble_a_ron says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:42 am

BTW, tiny,
Even though I enjoy talking to your more than to Dora,
Her usage of the word “strawmen” is totally appropriate. Railing against it made you look uh, less than smart.

Deacon Blues says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:53 am

“If your bank repeatedly had problems with their tellers stealing money from the customers’ accounts, would you feel comfortable keeping your money there?”

A teller would be caught at the end of the day when their teller tape didnt match and their drawer was out of balance. Stealing from a bank is virtually impossible.

להקיא says:

June 5th, 2009 at 9:54 am

EVERYBODY gets indicted before they are convicted.

YUP!

להקיא has been indicted six times, להקיאhas been convicted zero times.

Therefore, להקיא may legally carry a handgun, and להקיא may legally own a belt fed machine gun.

I’m telling you this because……
….a warm, yellow spot is beginning to spread across Parthian’s sheets right about…..
……….now!

June 5th, 2009 at 10:12 am

“Scooter” Libby. I guess all that press coverage a few years ago doesn’t count. Lets see what KOS was saying during the time he was “indicted”.

And hey I bet there are a ton of laws preventing people and or companies of doing things if they have been indicated for something pertinent.

Strawman? I don’t care what it is or isn’t ITS DUMB. And if you google it you get a billion hits from some dumb@ss blogs where some idiot leftwing moron is saying it.

Then you guys say it…

June 5th, 2009 at 10:14 am

Can you practice law if you’re under indictment?

June 5th, 2009 at 10:16 am

Can’t you close a business basically when you put a company or a person under indictment?

Deacon Blues says:

June 5th, 2009 at 10:19 am

Stop while youre not as far behind as you might be if you kept going Tiny. Let this one go.

June 5th, 2009 at 10:19 am

really I don’t about you guys? I hardly got a little more then High School degree and I know more sh^t then you’ll people will ever know.

I can honestly say there about a half a dozen people in here that are worth even having a damn discussion with. The rest of you are partisan Zombies without a original thought of your own. Strawman.

June 5th, 2009 at 10:20 am

Really Mark. You think Peters businesses where running the next day?

June 5th, 2009 at 10:26 am

A person license is taking away the day after they get are charged with a DWI? Even if they contest the results they can’t drive until they get to trial.

I’d like to see them shut down until someone can review their practices nation wide and set standards and validations of those standards will be enforced.

dubble_a_ron says:

June 5th, 2009 at 10:27 am

Now you’re asking some good questions, tiny.

You can keep someone in jail when they’re under indictment, but there’s due process for how high you set the bail (or deny it).

I don’t know about closing a business.
Probably depends on what they’re accused of and if they’re obviously doing it. Good question.

“Given our budget situation though I think any group convicted should be ineligible for any federal funding. ”

I agree, tluck. And that wound up being part of the “Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act.” So I figure we’re adequately covered by the law right now.

Deacon Blues says:

June 5th, 2009 at 10:30 am

“I hardly got a little more then High School degree and I know more sh^t then you’ll people will ever know.”

Tiny, come one. We have a court system for a reason and people are innocent until proven guilty for a reason.

“You think Peters businesses where running the next day?”

Tiny, stop, just stop. Polaroid,
Sun country…. Heard of those?

CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER says:

June 5th, 2009 at 10:37 am

“You think Peters businesses where running the next day?”

Anyone know what will happen if Petters is acquitted? It has surprised me that they were able to liquidate all, or most of his assets before he was convicted.

June 5th, 2009 at 10:52 am

So you guys really think that is a group or organization is under indictment they should still receive federal funding.

I think one has to think of groups they wouldn’t want getting their money if they had “presumable” under the law done something unlawful.

And Centrals right. They took all this poor saps money and he can’t even make bail. Peters might as well be in GITMO.

MaW says:

June 5th, 2009 at 11:00 am

Definintion of straw man:

straw man: a weak or sham argument set up to be easily refuted

June 5th, 2009 at 11:00 am

“Visitor Center Hall Flooded Briefly”

Now Harrys smelling their bloated bodies.

Dora says:

June 5th, 2009 at 11:08 am

“I hardly got a little more then High School degree and…” it shows.

“That raises legitimate questions about their ethical standards”

No, it raises legitimate questions about the ethical standards of who they hire. How do they know who is going to try to turn in fake names? They hire probably several thousand temporary employees all over the country but you only hear about the handful because of the rw extremists like Bachmann.

It’s not only ACORN that hires people who do that, every voter registration group encounters it, even the Republican based ones. But of course we don’t hear about them.

Dora says:

June 5th, 2009 at 11:15 am

I would be concerned about ACORN’s ethical standards if they didn’t fire the person, flag the names for the state election officials, and cooperate with local law enforcement in the prosecution of the people. But they do all of that.

June 5th, 2009 at 11:27 am

““I hardly got a little more then High School degree and…” it shows.”

Making fun of my education level because I lacked the opportunity to go to a 4 year college right out of High School.

Dora you Fraud. At every turn a Fraud. Whats next jokes about NASCAR and Country Music? Jokes about Toby Keiths acting ability?

June 5th, 2009 at 11:33 am

“They have processes in place to catch fraudulent registrations just like the state election officials do.”

Not when they drop off 50,000 in one day. Then 100,000 the next and the next. Didn’t you pay attention? That’s one of the biggest problems. That’s way Secretaries of States want them stopped. Ask those R and D workers at the Registry offices in OHIO,PA. Saw last election where both where blaming ACORN for deliberately flooding their offices. And at a time when they where working hard to get TRULY new voters registered.

Dora says:

June 5th, 2009 at 11:41 am

“Making fun of my education level… ”

What a fng fraud you are. You bash me at every turn and then you feign indignance when it gets thrown right back at you.

What a complete and utter joke you are! You can dish it out but you can’t take it. wimp.

Dora says:

June 5th, 2009 at 11:43 am

“Not when they drop off 50,000 in one day. Then 100,000 the next and the next…Saw last election where both where blaming ACORN for deliberately flooding their offices ”

You got a link for that?

Dora says:

June 5th, 2009 at 11:49 am

“That’s way [sic] Secretaries of States want them stopped”

Got a link to which ones said that?

להקיא says:

June 5th, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Again, if your life savings were drained by a corrupt bank employee, I would find it hard to believe you’d be on the phone with senior management, saying to them, “hey, don’t worry about it, how could you know you hired a thief”.

I would expect anyone I’m doing business with to make a reasonable effort to screen their employees before hiring them. The fact that so many instances regarding ACORN employees came to light, shows me that their employees ehtics are not a high priority.

Dora says:

June 5th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

“I would expect anyone I’m doing business with to make a reasonable effort to screen their employees before hiring them.”

How do you know what ACORN’s hiring practices are? How do you know they don’t screen them?

“The fact that so many instances regarding ACORN employees came to light”

How many instances of unethical employees in any business sector are uncovered every year? What are you comparing it to?

And your analogy is bogus. The bank checks the tellers and catches it. You aren’t out any money. ACORN checks the registrations and catches the bogus names. No fraudulent votes cast.

להקיא says:

June 5th, 2009 at 1:59 pm

It’s not a question of whether they screen them or not. Not doing it or doing a sh!tty job are equal in my book.

I’m not, nor do I see any reason to compare it to the business sector.
I take voting too seriously to all much grey area in what’s corrupt and what isn’t.

The bank might check the tellers and might decide to wait for you to catch it. You aren’t out any money, if you are alert.

Fixed it for for you.

Dora says:

June 5th, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Explain exactly how they’d be able to tell in screening a new hire that they would falsify records?

“The bank might check the tellers and might decide to wait for you to catch it.”

And the moon might be made of green cheese too.

June 5th, 2009 at 7:59 pm

We talked about on the other blog. It was CNN maybe Anderson but around Oct sometime.

Listen I just think its odd that we’d let anyone street corner this thing when really its a pretty important document. If they want to hold their hands to the court house or direct them to a government web site or whatever then fine.

But “Hey come over here and sign up to vote”

June 5th, 2009 at 8:14 pm

“A lot of Christians really don’t understand the pain that they have caused GLBT people.”

Its not Christians that are causing you whatever pain you are feeling. Vote in California was a great example. 7,001,084 million people voted for the ban. NO WAY are there 7 million Christian Nutjobs in California, there just isn’t. I’m not a Christian Nutjob and I’d vote for a ban. I know lots of people who are not church goers, not anti-gay who oppose gay marriage.

The people who are causing you the most pain are your “Activist Leaders”. Their current strategy has only made the matter worse. Who ever decided to be combative and not take the high/compassionate/Fairness road is the one who is causing you the pain.

John E Iacono says:

June 6th, 2009 at 2:19 pm

On formal education:

My father was a self-educated wise man who never got more than evening school after working in the fields all day in his home country, before he came here.

I went to school through high school, college, four years of postgraduate studies and the equivalent of another four years since. When questions of my educational background come up, I tell people: “I went to school for twenty years, and THEN I began my education — in the school of real life.

I find formal education snobbery painful to see in the mouths of those who have been to school and should know better, and even more so when used to put down the thoughts of wise persons who have had to learn on their own.