June 30th, 2009 – 3:03 PM by James Shiffer

In a 15-minute news conference, looking relaxed and upbeat, Norm Coleman congratulated Al Franken, reminisced about his 6-year term and the “longest election in Minnesota history” and didn’t discuss the details of the rejected legal challenge.

“We have reached the point where further litigation damages the unity of our state,” Coleman said. “I congratulate Al Franken in his victory in his election.”

Coleman on his future: “I’m considering whether I can do a better job of catching fish in the next couple of days… I haven’t made a decision yet about the future.”
On his state of mind: “I’ve had a lot of time to process this election, to think about the past and look to the future, and really have a sense of peace of where things are at.”

On the opinion: “the ruling surprised me. I thought we had a better case.”

Special thanks: Sen. Amy Klobuchar. “The good thing for Al Franken is that he’s got Amy Klobuchar by his side.”

Stuff he’ll remember: Constituent service, such as helping people with international custody cases. “It is the people things.” Policy: United Nations oversight, energy independence and renewables. “I’m going to continue to be involved in those discussions.”

Moments later, Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s office issued the following statement:

“The Minnesota Supreme Court has today addressed the issues surrounding the accuracy and integrity of our election system during the 2008 U.S. Senate race in Minnesota.  In light of that decision and Senator Coleman’s announcement that he will not be pursuing an appeal, I will be signing the election certificate today as directed by the court and applicable law.

“I would like to thank Senator Coleman for his service.  As state solicitor general, Mayor of Saint Paul and United States Senator, he has been an extraordinary leader and public servant for Minnesota.

“I also want to congratulate Al Franken and wish him well as he serves the people of Minnesota.”

President Obama offered this to-do list for Minnesota’s new junior senator:

“I look forward to working with Senator-Elect Franken to build a new foundation for growth and prosperity by lowering health care costs and investing in the kind of clean energy jobs and industries that will help America lead in the 21st century.”

7 Responses to "Coleman concedes, Pawlenty to sign election certificate today, to-do list from Obama"

Jay says:

June 30th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

“3:02: “We have reached the point where further litigation damages the unity of our state,”

we’ve also reached the point where we’ve got indoor plumbing.

parthian says:

June 30th, 2009 at 3:13 pm

That’s what we wanted to hear!

Finally.

להקיא says:

June 30th, 2009 at 3:13 pm

3:02 – “How much money do we have left in the litigation fund?”
3:04 – “Really? Have you checked the cookie jar?”
3:04 – “Well, look in between the sofa cushions”
3:05 – “The bottom line is that’s history. I’m not looking back… We are a nation of laws, not men and women. The court has spoken.”

Jay says:

June 30th, 2009 at 3:27 pm

parth: “That’s what we wanted to hear!”

If by “we” you mean you, I won’t argue that. If by “we” you mean the majority of Minnesotans, I think that its fair to point out that the actual majority of voters wnated to see two concessions…..more than 50% opposed Franken, just as more than 50% opposed Coleman.

“We” should be able to do better.

parthian says:

June 30th, 2009 at 3:33 pm

“I can do a better job catching fish in the next couple days…”

Oy. Does anyone believe Norm is a fisherman? God, the absurd phoniness, even as he exits the scene….

“to think about the past and look to the future, and really have a sense of peace where things are at.”

Who is the audience for crap like this?

“The ruling surprised me….I thought we had a better case.”

Riiiight. Then he was delusional. The unanimous ruling against you by the 3 judge Election Court didn’t give you a slight clue, Trial Lawyer Norm?

Jeebus, what nonsense.

jimbo92107 says:

June 30th, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Thanks Norm for depriving Minnesota of its rightful senator for six months. Don’t let the screen door hit you in the ass.

Jay says:

June 30th, 2009 at 3:41 pm

due process is a bitch, jimbo.