Bachmann speaks to conservative conference

September 18th, 2009 – 10:55 AM by Eric Roper

Rep. Michele Bachmann reiterated many of her health care views to a conservative conference here in Washington this morning, calling for less state barriers for purchasing health insurance.

Bachmann spoke to a packed room of conservative supporters during a health care “town hall” at the Values Voter Summit, hosted by the Family Research Council. Several hours from now, Gov. Tim Pawlenty will arrive to deliver one of the main speeches of the event (following a speech by Bill O’Reilly).

Bachmann emphasized that people should be able to purchase health insurance across state divides to avoid state-specific insurance policy mandates.

“Why not try that option before a two trillion dollar monstrosity destroys the greatest health system there’s every been in the world?” Bachmann said.

She said that president Barack Obama should look to Texas as good example of a pilot program for tort reform. Bachmann also defended much of the recent criticism and protests of the Democratic health care reform plans.

“These are very common sense decisions people are making because they realize we are losing something precious at a speed never before seen in this country,” she said.

Addressing other recent issues, Bachmann criticized the House for its vote yesterday to vastly expand government student lending programs and warned that it will lead to a larger government presence in private industry along with the cap-and-trade bill.

Near the end of the question-answer portion of the event, a woman speaking in a whisper approached the microphone to say that she had received three abortions which led to a “downward spiral” of drinking and doing drugs.

“There is forgiveness, there is a way forward and there is life after,” Bachmann told her.

49 Responses to "Bachmann speaks to conservative conference"

September 18th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

“Bachmann speaks to conservative conference”

I wonder if Eric Roper would ever use this title for a topic:

Obama speaks to liberal conference.

Hell no!

parthian says:

September 18th, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Pastor Dingbat: “There is forgiveness, there is life after.”

Was this a political conference or a revival meetin’?

As always, Darlin’ Michele is the brain dead mouthpiece of every corporate interest that she can shill for.

So it’s yet more Repub Deregulation Fever ™ as the “cure” for every ailment–because their corporate deregulation mania hasn’t been enough of a disaster for America! (Extra credit: MN is one of the stronger insurance regulation states, so of course the brain dead pinhead Congressfool representing the 6th Dist. comes out against our state’s policies. Despicable.)

Earsall Mackbee says:

September 18th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

D2, what type of conference has Bachmann, Pawlenty and Bill O’Reilly for speakers? Why does it anger you so much? Are you embarrassed by the term or was it something you wanted to keep hidden?

Deacon Blues says:

September 18th, 2009 at 12:42 pm

““Buy insurance across state lines” is code for abolish state insurance regulation so that the industry can select the state that has the least regulations and sell insurance policies nationwide based on the non-regulation of the bottom-feeding state. (Hint: this is exactly what giant health insurers want).”

If the state regulations are abolished how could one state have the least amount of regulation? Wouldnt there just be no regulation at all on the state level or regulation only on the federal level?

Tiny bulbs says:

September 18th, 2009 at 12:42 pm

“Was this a political conference or a revival meetin’?”

Rep. Keith Ellison attended a meeting with Muslim leaders in Minneapolis last Saturday to discuss some of the successes and challenges the Muslim community faces in Minneapolis. 7/31/09

Tiny bulbs says:

September 18th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

“In 1995 Ellison worked actively on behalf of the Nation of Islam. At a University of Minnesota rally to promote Louis Farrakhan’s highly anticipated Million Man March, Ellison appeared onstage with Khalid Abdul Muhammad, who delivered a thundering, racist diatribe.”

Great stuff out there..True? Maybe…close enough for some BQ Blogs? Sure why not?

Tiny bulbs says:

September 18th, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Again

“Was this a political conference or a revival meetin’?”

“You can’t back down. You can’t chicken out. You can’t be afraid. You’ve got to have faith in Allah, and you’ve got to stand up and be a real Muslim,” Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to the United States Congress, instructed a cheering crowd of Muslims last month in Dearborn.

He urged the group to remain steadfast in their faith and push for “justice.”

The crowd roared in return,”Allah akbar, Allah akbar, ” — God is great.

parthian says:

September 18th, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Deacon: No. It means the insurer could select whatever state regulation that they want, and aren’t required to comply with the laws of the state where the policy is purchased. So they will select the weakest state law as the one that “governs” all their policies.

You’re right, tiny—Ellison meeting with the Mpls muslim community (which he represents!) is exactly the same thing as Pastor Michele’s abortion benediction!

Tiny bulbs says:

September 18th, 2009 at 12:56 pm

So no one in the 5th has the guts to take Keith aside and say “Hey layoff the religious stuff can Ya? We don’t go for that sh^t around here. You know mixing religion and politics?”

Seems to me we have two religious Nutcases representing us around here.

BUT WE WHERE FIRST…Yeeeeeee US.

parthian says:

September 18th, 2009 at 12:59 pm

On the student L*an front, of course Darlin’ Michele comes out against that reform, which will end corporate subsidies to private banks issuing guaranteed student L*ans, thus saving the federal gub’mint around $87 billion according to the CBO.

So brain-dead budget-hawk Michele wants to continue corporate subsidies to the nation’s banks for no good purpose and reward corrupt, abusive health insurers with even more deregulation to fatten their coffers—more great “conservative” policies to help the plutocra…er, common folks!

Thanks, Darlin’ Michele!

parthian says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

By the way, why won’t the filter accept the word L*O*A*N?

What the hell kind of a “system” is this site running on?

Deacon Blues says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:05 pm

“No. It means the insurer could select whatever state regulation that they want, and aren’t required to comply with the laws of the state where the policy is purchased.”

So not actually abolishing the state regs. just a work around. Sort of like how 90% (made up %) of all corporations are in Deleware.

Cant this be fixed by just having federal minimum standards?

September 18th, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Liberals love ALL religions!
(except Christianity)

Deacon Blues says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Conservatives love ALL religions!
(except Islam)

September 18th, 2009 at 1:11 pm

“Thanks, Darlin’ Michele!”

I would love to see Comrade Partisan come out of his Mom’s basement and debate Michele Bachmann on ANY topic. She would run logical rings around this poor motivationally challenged communist.

parthian says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:12 pm

“a work around”

Yes, you got it precisely.

I wasn’t being clear, thanks for asking.

September 18th, 2009 at 1:14 pm

“Conservatives love ALL religions!
(except Islam)”

Greg 63 says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:16 pm

“She would run illogical rings around this poor motivationally challenged communist.”

More accurate.

September 18th, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Greg, you’re confusing Partisan. Let up a bit.

Greg 63 says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:20 pm

“Conservatives don’t care for RADICAL Islam, and don’t want it in the United States. Is that so wrong? ”

You moron.

Nobody likes radical islam, or radical christians, or radical jews, or radical atheists.

Do you get that?

The difference is that most rational people don’t consider ALL people practicing Islam to be radicals ….

except of course ..

you.

PEOPLE SHOULD BE OUTRAGED!

I only have half a functioning brain and I see it clearly.

September 18th, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Greg,

I’m not speaking for anyone else, but I think our suicidal immigration and refugee policies have been a disaster, and written by liberals like Ted Kennedy.

Deacon Blues says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:27 pm

“I think our suicidal immigration”

We should have stopped your ancestors at the border you freak.

September 18th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Deacon Blew,

Earsall Mackbee says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Deac, as an example, until recently Minnesota had a stock offering exemption that was pretty lax. You’d have Colorado companies intending to offer stock mainly to Colorado residents filing their offering in Minnesota only to take advantage of the Minnesota loophole.

Tiny, I’m not catching your point. I’m offended by people like D2 who believe that religion mandates certain political beliefs. Look, both Coleman and Franken are Jews, but I never heard that faith say you had to belong to one party or the other. One politician tried to go that route. Ask Boschwitz how that turned out.

I have no problem with a ploitician being religious or speaking to their constituency. I DO have trouble when they mix the two, but I realize that can be a gray area.

But what really annoys me is when an attitude develops that you have to be of a certain political belief to really belong to a religion. Take the ELCA debate over gay clergy. I see much more of that attitude with Christians and conservatives…..unless you’re a conservative, you’re not really a Christian”. If you can find me quotes requiring Muslims to be Democrats or liberals, I’ll take your side.

SgtPendleton says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Liberals don’t care for RADICAL Christianity, and don’t want it in the United States. Is that so wrong?

If she thinks Texas is so great, why won’t she move there? Last I checked, Minnesota is doing better than Texas — we’re net contributers to the federal government (we pay more in federal tax than we received in benefits), they’re not.

dubble_a_ron says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

“We should have stopped your ancestors at the border you freak. ”

Yeppers, shoulda told’em to swim back to Norway or wherever they came from.

SgtPendleton says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Yeah like the whole “Jesus wants you to vote Repbulican” bullsh1t.

September 18th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Earsall Mackbee, you are WRONG about me. I would much rather vote for any Black, Mexican, Jew, Muslim, Icelander, woman, American Indian, etc. who was a conservative and held the same values our Founding Fathers had, than I would for a liberal soci@list leaning Norwegian American, which is my ancestory.

Deacon Blues says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

“You seem like an economic conservative, but an open borders liberal. What gives?”

Guess what you seem like to me. Hint: Its steeming and stinks and its in a sack.

Deacon Blues says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

“Thanks Mark.”

My pleasure, dude.

September 18th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

“Hint: Its steeming and stinks and its in a sack.”

White Castle?

להקיא says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

“By the way, why won’t the filter accept the word L*O*A*N?”

It’s designed to prevent spam messages from being posted, not profanity.

September 18th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

“My pleasure, dude.”

Mark like’s to pleasure lot’s of dudes, especially young ones.

Deacon Blues says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:50 pm

“Mark like’s to pleasure lot’s of dudes, especially young ones.”

Now how can I compete with this?

Greg 63 says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:52 pm

“Earsall Mackbee, you are WRONG about me. ”

Nah .. he’s not.

“was a conservative and held the same values our Founding Fathers had

conservative and what our Founding Fathers dreamed of aren’t the same.

September 18th, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Well I think I’ll go out back and start splitting the huge pile of Oak I have out back. That’s right! Manual labor which I’m sure Comrade Partisan and Deacon Blew have never experienced!

Later Guys!

September 18th, 2009 at 1:57 pm

“conservative and what our Founding Fathers dreamed of aren’t the same.”

I’ll check in after my back starts to get sore.

Earsall Mackbee says:

September 18th, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I think everyone needs to come up with their own “Mythical Chore” to come up with when things get too hot. Since chopping wood is taken, I’m going with “working on my motorcycle”.

Greg 63 says:

September 18th, 2009 at 2:02 pm

“It’s a hell of a lot closer than what Obama and his soci@list allies are trying to cram down our throats Greg.”

No, it’s not.

Deacon Blues says:

September 18th, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Im going with “drinking”

dubble_a_ron says:

September 18th, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Dare2 doesn’t even chop the wood. He has a splitter.

I suppose stacking the wood counts as manual labor though.

I bet he spanks his wood a lot too.

Deacon Blues says:

September 18th, 2009 at 2:15 pm

“I bet he spanks his wood a lot too.”

Thats the ‘manual’ part.

SgtPendleton says:

September 18th, 2009 at 2:19 pm

It begins thusly: Bill O’Reilly announces that it is a good thing the public option is dead, because now the President can work on making sure the government will start to provide cost-effective, reliable health care for people who cannot afford private insurance. And then some gal from the Heritage Foundation is like, “Hmm, are you sure, Bill, that you want this? Because what you just described, it seems like something you don’t want.” It is at this point that O’Reilly realizes he has LITERALLY just said he loves communism. Ha ha, whatever though, because he 100% covers his tracks by assuring this sinister woman that he personally doesn’t want a bunch of soc1al1sts ordering him to retroactively abort the seniors in his family—Christ no—but he thinks that this might be good like for poor people.

SgtPendleton says:

September 18th, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Above was an OD cut-n-paste by the way.

2Dim goes out and chops wood whenever he starts having special feelings about other guys.

להקיא says:

September 18th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

“Manual labor which I’m sure Comrade Partisan and Deacon Blew have never experienced!”

Manuel is the cabana boy, and he labors to keep the wife happy when I’m working, and off my back when I’m not.

It’s a symbiotic relationship.

September 18th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Beer break!

Erkall Mackbee, some of the logs I split are too big for even a couple of “men” like Partisan and Blew to lift together. Do you think these logs just magically jump up on to the splitter themselves?

By the way, I’m doing a good deed for environmentalism by taking down and disposing of disease spreading Oak Wilt infested trees. In fact, I’m splitting the ones now because my former lesbian neighbor couple refused to control their diseased trees, resulting in the spread of disease to the ones I’m dealing with now.

Greg 63 says:

September 18th, 2009 at 6:17 pm

“I’m not trying to pick on lesbians, but we offered to help but thet weren’t interested in having their space invaded. ”

I’m pretty sure there’s a whole lot more to that story.

Shouldn’t diseased trees be disposed of immediately?

Hmmmm ..

CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER says:

September 18th, 2009 at 6:53 pm

“I’m pretty sure there’s a whole lot more to that story.”

He never offered them “product” at cost.

The neighborly thing to do.