Republicans caught in a crossfire?

August 22nd, 2007 – 2:01 PM by D.J. Tice

tice.jpgThe air wars over Iraq policy in Congress took on new intensity today — and a new tactical twist. According to this Washington Post item a new group called Freedom’s Watch with ties to the White House is launching a $15 million television ad campaign aimed at shoring up congressional support for the war.

According to the Post and critical anti-war groups, Minnesota’s Sen. Norm Coleman is one of the targets of the campaign, along with other Republicans seen at risk of shifting position on the war. A local buy could also put pressure on Reps. Jim Ramstad, Michele Bachmann and John Kline.

The Star Tribune has not been able to independently confirm that the ads will be running here. A Freedom’s Watch spokesman won’t comment on where the ads are running. According to a Freedom’s Watch press release the campaign will appear in more than 20 states and dozens of congressional districts.

What’s clear is that these ads strike a quite different pro-war chord than did an ad aired by Vets for Freedom in support of Coleman some weeks back. Instead a “thank you senator” message these ads feature disabled vets and spouses of those killed in action decrying the very idea that members of Congress would change their votes and turn against the war for political reasons.

We’ll see if the ads turn up here, and the Big Question will post any new information. The ads are below, and so is an anti-war spot launched today against Rep. Michele Bachmann. Its new twist is use of the State-of-the-Union smooch as a visual kicker to drive home Bachmann’s loyalty to Bush.

The Freedom’s Watch ads:

Here’s the Bachmann ad:

64 Responses to "Republicans caught in a crossfire?"

Cash N. Carey says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 2:56 pm

DJ – it isn’t the Republicans caught in the crossfire. It is the dems, who voted for the war initially. Then, when we appeared to be losing switched to a withdrawal mod and claimed a “stupid” president out-witted them. Then now that the surge is working are going to ????

I like the ads.

God bless our troops and our government officials that support their mission!

August 22nd, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Once again, we see that many Americans love death and destruction more than anything else.

Michael Blaine
“We Will Never Forget the Lessons of 8-1″

mark says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 3:16 pm

“we see that many Americans love death and destruction more than anything else.”

And we see that some people are fixated on making these idiotic rants. War is not purposeful death and destruction. Statements like Michael Bland’s are purposefully structured to remove context.

Are wars bad, as Bland insinuates? The answer to the question is that it is not a question. Wars are fought for the reasons they are fought. It is those reasons and motivations that must be examined.

As I have demonstrated before, the utter ridiculousness of Michael Bland’s comments are that there is fewer deaths and less destruction now that would have existed without the war. Since this war resulted in a net decrease in death and destruction, clearly Michael Bland must be a total supporter of the war.

August 22nd, 2007 at 3:34 pm

The surge is working? Since the surge was supposed to give the Iraqi government more time to meet their political benchmarks and everybody now says they won’t, it looks like the surge isn’t working.

August 22nd, 2007 at 3:36 pm

“Since this war resulted in a net decrease in death and destruction”

There is absolutely no evidence that you can point to support that assertion. It doesn’t even pass the common sense test.

August 22nd, 2007 at 4:06 pm

As a citizen, I’ve washed my hands of the Iraq debacle.

I’ve spoken out against the invasion of Iraq since the idea was floated.

Short of participating in a general strike against the war – which I would do in a heartbeat! – I’m done.

If many sadistic and stupid Americans want to keep on killing and maiming and keep on being killed and maimed, that’s their affair.

I’m only sorry for the civilians whose lives are ruined, and the waste of my tax money.

At least I’ll continue to earn US dollars here, and invest them in countries that are more economically viable.

Before too long, that should pay off handsomely, and I’ll be able to blow out of this insane asylum we call a country.

Michael Blaine

Bill Prendergast says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 4:22 pm

I saw one of the ads today. I think it ran on a local network; not sure. Next time I see one I’ll note the station.

We posted the anti-Bachmann ad at Dump Bachmann (of course.) But the Freedom’s Watch ad that I saw didn’t mention any particular politician or candidate. It was just a general plea from a widow/mother “not to give up in Iraq now.”

I didn’t see it so much as an effort to put pressure on GOP politicians as an effort to persuade the television audience to support the war. I don’t recall ever seeing commercial television advertising like that, for the specific purpose of persuading Americans to continue a war. Then again, we haven’t been in a losing war effort like this since Viet Nam.

It will be the dawn of a new era, if it’s effective. The pro-war side has the big money; the military contractors and so forth who have a money interest in continuing the war and continuing the public deficit spending that finances it. So the pro-war side can afford to buy television ads in key markets and run its pro-war message.

And that would be a new era–applying the “party political media campaign” strategy to selling the public on the need for the war. The best minds in conservative public relations (and they are good at what they do) could make careers out of selling Americans on the need to continue the war. We’ve seen how effective they’ve been at selling unqualified candidates to the public at election time; they can certainly use those same techniques and their money advantage to sell the public on the need for an apparently endless and counterproductive war.

August 22nd, 2007 at 4:23 pm

I called the number in the ad. It takes you to a call center and the message while you’re on hold is the typical pro war message. When the operator came on she started right off by asking me if I support the war. I said I didn’t want to talk to her that I only wanted to talk to my congress person like the ad said. She was clearly flummmoxed. She said she would pass me through after I answered some questions. I told her the ad didn’t say I had to answer any questions before talking to my congress person. There was a long pause in which neither of us said anything. Then she asked me for my state and zip code and asked me who I wanted to speak to and I said both of them. She connected me to Klobuchar’s office. I said why I was calling and then she connected me to Coleman’s office where I got a voice mail message. I left a message that I wanted to make sure that he would hear from constituents on both sides of the issue.

Bill Prendergast says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 4:51 pm

If it works, it’s frigging brilliant.

Pretend you’re a politician or a businessman who’s currently making money of the war spending (billions of dollars in public deficit spending every year.) Would you support buying $15 million in television time, if it could keep your end of a multi-billion dollar war spending market going?

It’s just good business, if you don’t care how many American troops get killed next year, or the year after, or the year after that.

And the sweetest part is: the anti-war interests are grass roots–they don’t have the money to get into an advertising spending battle like that.
They can fight you on the internet, but television is basically yours to command.

And if the campaign is effective in swaying hearts and minds, the professional news media will come around to reflect that change in attitude–just as they became more conservative after the rise of talk radio in the eighties.

Now if Rove came up with *this* idea–there is an argument for Machiavellian brilliance. The object of the administration and the pro-war profiteers is to continue the war, regardless of our military position or the ultimate outcome or how many troops we’re losing. If this type of TV advertising furthers that agenda, it’s the best and most profitable $15 million these guys have spent in years.

August 22nd, 2007 at 4:55 pm

“Support Our Expendable Saps”

August 22nd, 2007 at 4:57 pm

“Mammon Bless America”

August 22nd, 2007 at 5:03 pm

They have to screen to make sure only supporters attend events and they have to screen the calls to make sure only supporters get through. I’ve seen posted elsewhere that people who have answered their questions honestly about not supporting the war were told they wouldn’t connect them.

August 22nd, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Nefarious times we live in, eh Dora?

monty says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Viet Nam with sand, folks. The war was authorized by Congress because, according to our President, Iraq presented a clear and immediate danger to the United States. That assessment turned out to be false. We are even starting to hear the old “domino theory” arguments to justify our continued presence in the region. We’ve been here before as a country forty years ago and apparently we didn’t learn our lesson then. So we get to learn it again now.

August 22nd, 2007 at 5:39 pm

Its a great thing that we have you two moonbats out there protecting us from the boogeymen. What would we do if you two weren’t here blathering on the internet about things you do nothing to change other than complain about it.

August 22nd, 2007 at 5:44 pm

THIS is big news:

Baghdad, 22 August (AKI) – The leader of Iraq’s banned Baath party, Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, has decided to join efforts by the Iraqi authorities to fight al-Qaeda, one of the party’s former top officials, Abu Wisam al-Jashaami, told pan-Arab daily Al Hayat.

“AlDouri has decided to sever ties with al-Qaeda and sign up to the programme of the national resistance, which includes routing Islamist terrorists and opening up dialogue with the Baghdad government and foreign forces,” al-Jashaami said.

Al-Douri has decided to deal directly with US forces in Iraq, according to al-Jashaami. He figures in the 55-card deck of “most wanted” officials from the former Iraqi regime issued by the US government.

In return, for cooperating in the fight against al-Qaeda, al-Douri has asked for guarantees over his men’s safety and for an end to Iraqi army attacks on his militias.

August 22nd, 2007 at 5:52 pm

wait a minute, you mean Al-Douri was one of the “most wanted” and now the US government is going to negotiate with him? That is big news.

dare2sayit.com says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 7:05 pm

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”

Thomas Jefferson

My guess is that Thomas Jefferson was much wiser than liberal pacifists like Mike Blame and Dora.

dare2sayit.com says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 7:40 pm

O.T.,

No matter how good the news is out of Iraq, the democrat party is invested in defeat and will try to pull out prematurely anyway. You can’t trust our national security to the democrat party.

August 22nd, 2007 at 8:34 pm

DTSI, what makes you think I’m a pacifist? Do you even know what a pacifist is? Oh wait, no you don’t, you accused people in the military who speak against the war of being pacifists.

Yeah, the news is great out of Iraq. Last week 500 civilians were killed in a bombing and today 15 soldiers died in a helicopter crash and 27 people died in a bombing.

And here’s the entire letter from which the quote comes from. What do you think he’s talking about DTSI? Hint: it’s not about waging war on others.

monty says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 8:38 pm

One wonders where the right would be without projection? Statements like “liberal pacifists” and “the democrat party is invested in defeat” merely display the lack of moral grounding in the neo-conservative position. Again, we went to Iraq under false pretenses.
If you want to talk about the war on terror, which is a separate issue from the reasoning originally given as justification to invade Iraq, Al-Qaeda had a negligible presence in Iraq before we went in. Osama Bin Laden is still at large, almost 6 years after his attack on the United States, an attack that occured while the mighty republicans controlled both the Presidency and the Congress. Seems to me if we really wanted to make a statement in the war on terror we would start by apprehending the leader of the group that attacked us. And as for national security, let me ask you: do you feel really safer now than you did 7 years ago?
Part of being an adult is showing the capacity to admit mistakes and make amends. Name calling and guilt projection are a childish response to the situation that confronts this country.

August 22nd, 2007 at 8:45 pm

One wonders where the left would be without projection? Saying Bush lied, Bush stole the election, George Bush doesn’t care about black people, Bush is stupid merely display the lengths dems go to justify their own inadequacies, sense of fair play and morals.

Montys post is kinda easy to change to go the other way isn’t it?

August 22nd, 2007 at 8:47 pm

And another Jefferson quote. From his first inaugural address March 4, 1801:

“Freedom of religion; freedom of the press, and freedom of person under the protection of the habeus corpus, and trial by juries impartially selected. These principles form the bright constellation which has gone before us, and guided our steps through an age of revolution and reformation. The wisdom of our sages and the blood of our heroes have been devoted to their attainment. They should be the creed of our political faith, the text of civil instruction, the touchstone by which we try the services of those we trust; and should we wander from them in moments of error or alarm, let us hasten to retrace our steps and to regain the road which alone leads to peace, liberty, and safety.”

dare2sayit.com says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Monty says:

“do you feel really safer now than you did 7 years ago?”

Yes. We were attacked more under Bill Clinton than under George Bush.

Dora says:

“Here’s another Jefferson quote: “The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good government.””

What better way is there of achieving this than allowing a society to be free?

August 22nd, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Isn’t it odd that Dora and Michael have problems with these videos but if the same ones were made with opposing viewpoints, they would adore them. I do not care where the money came from to put them out- it is still the opinions, stories and families of soldiers and soldiers themselves telling their side.

August 22nd, 2007 at 8:56 pm

Where did I say I had problems with them? I called the number to talk to my congress person and voice my opinion.

dare2sayit.com says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Dora, how did Keith Hakim Ellison reply?

August 22nd, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Oh, and mark, too.

You guys are lost, lost, lost. Morally bankrupt, and intellectually incapable.

Michael Blaine
“We Will Never Forget the Lessons of 8-1.”

dare2sayit.com says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 9:01 pm

Mike Blame,

Thank you for showing your character. Other liberals on this blog must be very proud of you.

August 22nd, 2007 at 9:18 pm

oh, is that what we’re doing DTSI, “allowing a society to be free?” Is that why we went to war in Iraq? What about those WMD’s? What about the “shock and awe”? What about all that bombing and shooting and almost 4000 soldiers and who knows how many civilians dead? How is fighting them over there so we don’t have to fight them over here “allowing a society to be free?”

How did Ellison reply to what?

dare2sayit.com says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 9:27 pm

Dora,

Saddam had to go and you know it.

Just like the people of defeated Japan realized democracy was the way to go, so will the Iraqi’s with America’s support. Too bad there are so many leftist obsticles like you and Mike Blame trying to prevent this.

August 22nd, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Wow DTSI, we declared war on Japan to bring them democracy too? And here I thought we declared war on them after they attacked Pearl Harbor.

That you still believe Iraq will be a democracy is a testament to your denial of reality. Do you hear anybody talking about that anymore? The Bush backers have been floating the partitioning idea.

August 22nd, 2007 at 9:45 pm

Michael, knock it off. If you’re that frustrated with these guys then take a break from this blog.

monty says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 9:52 pm

OT is correct. If you want to merely name call and project, why yes, it is as easy to do from the left as it is from the right. My point was that we should try to get away from this type thing. It tends to bring out the worst in people. Unless, of course, 2 wrongs do make a right, and, if that’s your position, then you’re on your own.
DTSI plays the old Clinton card, saying we were attacked more under his(Clintons) administration than the current one. It is true, there were several incidents that occurred during Clintons watch, most notably the Cole attack. But nothing occurred like the 9/11 attack, on our own soil, killing thousands of American civilians. And we are manufacturing more of these zealots every day now. In Iraq. You can’t pin that one on Clinton.
Finally, do you really feel safer now, DTSI? Do you feel that our society is just as free as it was 7 years ago? Do you think it’s OK that Bin Laden is still out there?
I don’t. Just my opinion, but I think it’s kinda ridiculous the way the 9/11 attack has morphed into where this country is right now.
The families in these videos have every right to hold, and express, their views. The question should be, if we need to put our soldiers into harms way, shouldn’t we be certain it is for the right reasons? The reasons giving for invading Iraq have been shown, at the very least, to be erroneous.

August 22nd, 2007 at 9:56 pm

Good luck with these guys, Monty. They love proto-fascism.

MB

August 22nd, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Sorry, Dora.

These guys are goons; I just want my state and my country back.

MB

August 22nd, 2007 at 10:07 pm

Monty is right Michael. Name calling brings out the worst in people and it won’t change anything.

August 22nd, 2007 at 10:19 pm

You so funny Michelle.

D2SI, O.T., mark, CnC and others ought to know what decent and rational Minnesotans think- DOES THAT MEAN YOU? Lets review:

1)their choice to be sadistic and willfully ignorant
2)You guys ought to be ostracized
3)helping to posion the state’s and the nation’s civic life and political climate.
4)You guys are lost, lost, lost. Morally bankrupt, and intellectually incapable.
5)They love proto-fascism.
6)You and your brownshirt squad
7) and three of these (F U C_K YOU.)

Friggin beautiful and the best possible spokesperson for the democrats. Now, take your ball and run home to mommy if you can’t handle your fragile emotions.

August 22nd, 2007 at 10:32 pm

It’s a good cathartic release.

And our local brownshirts need to know their “ideas” and views are beyond the pale.

These people are unfit for civilization.

MB

August 22nd, 2007 at 10:42 pm

I hope that most “decent and rational Minnesotans” are more like me than you, Michelle. You are incapable of carrying on conversations without ranting, crying, saying f you, and calling people you disagree with, nazis. I would tell you to go to bed and rest up for your job tomorrow, but I doubt you have one. i would tell you to go spend time with your wife, but i doubt you have one of those too. I would guess divorced or never married. You are pitiful and saddening at the same time.
Good night everyone else.

6th district Jim says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 11:21 pm

The Blaine man needs professional help. Let’s hope he gets some.
I think the therapy is helping Parth.
It’s amazing how election results seem unimportant to those who throw the insults around.
Elections, and elections alone, have landed us where we are today.
Alas, the mighty Dem Congress now refuses to pull the plug on the war, and their fans seem to have gone over the edge. Sheehan running against Pelosi. Shortest honeymoon in recent memory.
Even getting f-bombs on the Strib site.
The hilarious part is the paranoia….
Do I feel less safe than in 2000? Ah, No.
Are my rights being more violated? Ah No.
Are “they” listening? Ah, No.
ROTFLMAO.
12 million illegals are running around in plain sight, and we the citizens are supposed to be afraid or worry about big brother?
Hey, when I see we’re rounding up a few million aliens, then I will worry about our gov’t prowess in internal affairs, as for now they can’t even get people–begging for help on cable channels– evacuated from stadiums
after a Katrina. Even worse, they dont even know they were there. I guess it’s still better than Waco where they simply burn them alive. Yes, our gov’t is so efficient.

The trouble is so very, very little has changed since 9-11, to the detriment of us all.
But please, whine away about your wildest Orwellian fantasies. Now, on the BQ.

August 23rd, 2007 at 12:08 am

Thank you all, right wing goons and shock troops, for helping make Minnesota and the nation much worse off. “Mission Accomplished,” pea brains.

Royinoslo says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 5:18 am

Regarding the ad with the soldier who lost 2 legs and wants the occupation to go on so that those who attacked us on 9-11 won’t do it again:
–I feel really, really sorry for him. If it happened to me I can imagine not being able to let go of the idea that it was worthwhile, of HAVING to believe it was for a just cause, in order to maintain your sanity.
But someday, someday, like an unexploded land mine in a child’s playground, he may wake up to the realization that we ARE NOT responding to the 9-11 attackers, that hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis have lost much more than their legs, and that his efforts to serve his country were really the response to power-mad neocons who have brought terrible damage to Iraq and to the country he loves.
I hope the poor soldier’s family is prepared for the meltdown that is yet to come.
And BTW, Michael Blaine– get your cathartic relief somewhere else, asap, and come back when you don’t have to come off as such a jerk.

August 23rd, 2007 at 9:07 am

Jeezus, Roy’s only remark about the soldier who lost his legs is that someday the kid will realize he is wrong. I see you really support him and his right to say what he feels. You know, the right he joined the military for in the first place. To serve his country.

August 23rd, 2007 at 9:29 am

My apologies to RoyinOslo, Dora, Mr. Tice, and everyone else on this board, EXCEPT the five posters to whom my Cheneyesque profanity was directed, plus their kindred spirits, the sick people at “Freedom’s” Watch.

Michael Blaine
“We Will Never Forget the Lessons of 8-1.”

Karl says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 10:01 am

I see Strib reporter Jake Sherman found the pro-death ads “touching”:

(from the article)
The four spots feature injured Iraq war veterans and wives of soldiers killed in action who say members of Congress changing a vote for “political reasons” is “unthinkable.”

In one of the most touching spots, an Iraq war veteran speaks to the camera and is seen walking on artificial legs.

“Congress was right to vote to fight terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan,” the veteran says in the ad. “I reenlisted after Sept. 11 because I don’t want my sons to see what I saw. I want them to be free and safe. I know what I lost. I also know that if we pull out now, everything I’ve given and the sacrifices will mean nothing. They attacked us, and they will again. They won’t stop in Iraq. We are winning on the ground and making real progress. It’s no time to quit. It’s no time for politics.”

Why is this “touching?” It depicts a soldier so brainwashed by BushCo that he thinks IRAQ attacked us on 9/11. That’s not touching–that’s sad. To think that this soldier lost his legs all for the lies of an administration and president who have conflated the 9/11 attack (conducted mostly by Saudis) with the pre-emptive war on Iraq, which had nothing to do with 9/11.

That’s what is really unthinkable.

Mark the sequel says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 10:17 am

Michael Blaine says:

So go * * * * yourselves. I got mine.

I see, so you’re from the George Soros/Warren Buffett/John Kerry/Matt Entenza wing of the Democratic Party, then. Congratulations on your great wealth and your evident compassion, to say nothing of the fine example you set for the rest of us benighted sorts.

August 23rd, 2007 at 12:27 pm

Mark, don’t fall for his line, my orignal analysis of michelle stands.

I happened to be in a vehicle today and by chance came upon a liberal talker named Stephanie Miller who openly mocked the soldier who lost his legs. She used his accent and dumbed it down considerably. For her, I would use michelle’s favorite line.

bsimon says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 2:55 pm

August 23rd, 2007 at 9:07 am

“DJ, I think it is time to remove Michael Blaine. he has long been a ranting pain in the as*, but now he lends nothing substantive at all, only f bombs. Remove him before the real decent and rational people leave this blog and go to one that doesn’t allow his bs to be posted.”

August 22nd, 2007 at 5:33 pm

“Forget the part about you making up sh*t, add that you are a sh*thead.”

jonerik says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 3:33 pm

I feel sad for the people who have lost loved ones or for the people who have suffered in this war. I also feel sad for the people who have been and are injured by this catastrophe. But the same cynicism and moral bankruptcy that drove Bush ad his criminal gang into plotting this mess are the same ones who exploit this suffering to save their wretched hides in ads like the Freedom Watch ads. Every single reason for starting this insane war has been jettisoned. We are four years after Bush declared “Mission Accomplished” to shore up his miserable popularity. Just lies after lies after lies by the conservatives and Republicans who brought us to this state.

Are the Republicans caught in a crossfire by these ads? No doubt because it is the Republican Party which is going to go down in flames in the next election if the US is in Iraq, if not Iran by the end of 2008. But so are we all. I am not hearing any plans for extricating the country from the Middle East from all of the Democratic presidential hopefuls (other than Dennis Kucinich and John Edwards). I’m not holding out a great deal of hope that whoever gets elected is going to withdraw the US armies from Iraq.

How can you argue that we should stay the course in Iraq until “victory”? There is no objective or defined measure by which this country can judge whether victory has been achieved or whether the war has been won or lost. It is just as easy to imagine that the US will maintain an occupying force, an imperialistic and colonialistic occupying force, for years to come. I believe the US will be in Iraq in a sizable presence for the forseeable future. Britain maintained a colonial force in India and other parts of the globe for over a century. I deplore the fact that our fine men and women who signed up for the National Guard or for reserve service have now been impressed into a colonial service. For a group that calls itself “Freedom Watch” to exploit the grief of families of those who have lost loved ones is cynical and evil. To claim that their service has anything to do with protecting America or its liberty is Orwellian and the sheerest sophistry.

August 23rd, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Wow, you are so right. Telling multiple people about 6-7 times to f you is nearly the same thing. Calling people nazis and telling them to f you is fine and dandy in bsimon’s narrow littlemind.

August 23rd, 2007 at 3:39 pm

jon, are these actors in the commercials? If not, then they are not being exploited, they stating their feelings and opinions- just as you are. Are you only for freedom of speech when it coincides with your own beliefs? I disagree with about 80% of the stuff on this site but you will never find me say you do not have the right to say it, no matter how stupid it is. Michelle Blaine even has the right to tell people to f you, he just shouldn’t have this platform to do it in.

August 23rd, 2007 at 3:40 pm

oh stop whining OT. Is that the only time you’ve used profanity? Of course not. And bsimon’s mind is far from narrow or little. You’re projecting again.

Karl says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 3:43 pm

Props of the right, that’s all these amputees are. Props being used to push a war that will produce even more props for them to use and then throw away when they’re done with them.

Harsh? Not really–particularly when Ari Fleischer can’t even come up with the name of his Star Amputee in his ads:

August 23rd, 2007 at 4:15 pm

It is sweet of you to protect your like-minded compatriot Michael B, Dora. My heart is warming as I type. Yes, even us brown suit wearing, fascist, nazis have hearts too. Its good to see how you rationally compare my dig to his insane rantings though- it shows your sense of impartiality.

August 23rd, 2007 at 4:26 pm

O.T.

Dora and I are quite different.

She is much more civil, much better informed, and she is- unlike me – a Democrat, presumably.

Also, how can telling a pro-war sadist to flip off be considered “insane” or a “rant”?

Michael Blaine
“We Will Never Forget the Lessons of 8-1.”

August 23rd, 2007 at 5:19 pm

How funny OT. I was responding to your post to bsimon and you know it. And isn’t it funny that your comment to me is so much harsher than even your comment to bsimon. If you scroll up a bit, you’ll see I was the first one telling Michael to “knock if off” so it’s obvious I wasn’t defending him in the least. But there you go again misrepresenting what I said. Why how unusual–not!

August 23rd, 2007 at 5:28 pm

American’s United for Change response to Freedom Watch:

August 23rd, 2007 at 5:29 pm

I understand in leftyworld that it is encouraged to call repubs or conservatives nazis, liars, fascists, criminals and other derogatory terms. It is page two of the playbook. It is a tactic to make yourselves feel better about your own criminal, crybaby party. If it works for you, keep doing it, I say.

I wonder how long it will be before michelle B goes off her meds again and can’t control the tourettes?

August 23rd, 2007 at 6:02 pm

Really OT? I’ve never been encouraged to call republicans or conservatives names by anybody. “It’s page two of the playbook”? And you accuse bsimon of making things up?!

And how funny that while you criticize “leftyworld” of calling repubs or conservatives criminals and other derogatory terms you go on to say “It is a tactic to make yourselves feel better about your own criminal, crybaby party.”

Perhaps OT, you should check in with your own doctor.

August 23rd, 2007 at 7:07 pm

Do you think, OT, that people find your political views offensive because they are?.

Not everything is from a “playbook.”

Some things are objectively real.

dare2sayit.com says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 8:32 pm

joneric,

Do you feel that it was worth it for Americans to get involved in WWII? I’m just wondering how you draw the line.

6th district Jim says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 8:43 pm

Jim says:
I could do a new post, but I still like the effort from last night. In honor of the Blandman, I will simply repost it: An ode to those who deny the reality of elections: 62 million votes confirmed Bushco efforts!

The Blaine man needs professional help. Let’s hope he gets some.
I think the therapy is helping Parth.
Elections, and elections alone, have landed us where we are today.
Even getting f-bombs on the Strib site.
The hilarious part is the paranoia….
Do I feel less safe than in 2000? Ah, No.
Are my rights being more violated? Ah No.
Are “they” listening? Ah, No.
ROTFLMAO.

dare2sayit.com says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 9:22 pm

Good points Jim,

And the liberals want this efficient gov’t to take over the health care industry! That’s almost as insane as allowing our country to be invaded by millions of illegals and doing nothing about it.